Our collaborative family law process seeks to promote conflict resolution and avoid litigation in Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, Ontario.
At Best4All, we aim to achieve resolution of all issues relating to separation in a non-adversarial manner using the collaborative family law process, without going to court. Here is how the process works:
- You, your spouse and your collaborative professionals sign a participation agreement that commits everyone to work in accordance with the principles of collaborative family law.
- All parties work cooperatively to reach the best possible mutually acceptable resolution.
- An agenda is prepared for each meeting and detailed “progress reports” are made and circulated.
- Your legal professionals will assist you and your spouse by conducting settlement discussions to provide legal advice and assist in the process. The goal is for you to maintain control over decision making and feel empowered to find creative solutions.
- Your legal professionals will assist with communication and help you negotiate effectively in a respectful, dignified manner. Collaborative professionals are specifically trained to manage conflict and engage in constructive problem solving.
- All parties cooperate fully in obtaining and sharing all financial and other important information.
- Collaborative family law professionals, such as mental health or financial specialists, are all available to assist in the process.
- Costs of family and financial specialists can be shared. With no court papers to be prepared and no court hearings, the process is less costly and time-consuming than litigation.
- The process promotes conflict resolution and maintains good faith, which increases the likelihood that parents can reach solutions that promote their children’s best interests.
- Once a consensus is reached on all issues, a written separation agreement is drafted by your legal professionals. If you were married, the key terms in the agreement can be repeated in a final divorce judgment, which is signed by a judge.
If a settlement is not reached, your team of collaborative professionals must withdraw, and none of them, nor any member of their respective firms or organizations, may represent or provide evidence on behalf of you or your spouse.
The collaborative family law process at Best4All is ideal for many different circumstances involving a separation. If you are in Kitchener-Waterloo-Cambridge, Ontario and would like more information, contact us today.